Saturday, August 1, 2009

Do You Know Your Worth?

I've been single-again for the past 7 years. In fact, it will be 7 years to the day of my divorce becoming final that my fiancee and I will apply for our marriage license. Talk about God's redemption! For years, I have held 3 verses close to my heart: Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."; Habakkuk 2:3 (AMP) "For the vision is yet for an appointed time and it hastens until the end (fulfillment); It will not deceive or disappoint. Though it tarry, wait (earnestly) for it, because it will surely come; it will not be behindhand on its appointed day."; I trusted John 14:3 because someday, my heavenly Prince will come (again)! ;). These were words that were personal to me. God works with each of us in unique ways. I found this verse 1 Corinthians 7:17 in The Message to be oh-so-sweet: "And don't be wishing you were somewhere else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and believe and love right there. God, not your marital status defines your life." WOW. I remember journaling this in 2003 and that is when it took root in my heart. My singleness was a newly found gift. And speaking of gifts...

Do you know your worth? Really? If you were or are alone answering this question, does it make you squirm or do you smile with joy because you know who and Whose you are? Not in a prideful, conceited way. My heart has been for single women. Single men, too, but I've shared the most time with my fellow single sisters doing life and pouring into them as I have led small groups for single women. It was in co-leading a mixed singles group where it was confirmed that the majority of single women just need an intimate, safe place to dive deep and be encouraged. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some super-spiritual wonder woman. Quite the opposite. When I finally got a clue (thanks to my counselor and God) and found myself walking into a divorce recovery group, I was a hess of a mess, looking for love in all the wrong places. Suffice it to say, I couldn't get no satisfaction (a play on the Rolling Stones' song) anywhere but leaning on God, my newfound single friends and learning about me. The relationships were empty, the alcohol did nothing for me so I walked away from all of it for almost 3 years. I gave God 2 and I guess I'm thick-headed and needed 3 to learn. :) Had plenty of first dates and none that I wanted to become seconds really until I met my hubby-to-be. A caveat to that is that I did not like dating. Crazy, I know. I just cherish my time and would rather spend it on friends and family than waste it on a date I'm dying to end. I prayed and prayed that the guy I dated seriously would end up being my hubby. I realize that may not be for most of you. God has a plan for each of you so dig deep and listen to Him. He makes all things beautiful in HIS time.

Back to your worth... Every book written about singles and relationships have one topic in common - you gotta love yourself! Honey, men can smell desperation and neediness a mile away! If you just gotta have a man, they can tell. Get a life and he will come when you least expect it. I half-heartedly believed the 'he will come when you least expect it' until my future hubby walked into my life. I was 36 when I first "met" him. I had all but given up hope being that I really was content with my life. Sure I still longed to be married and have a family of my own, but I had a pretty good life. I had told myself I'd adopt when I turn 40 if there were no ships on the horizon. I'm 38 and will be married in 6 weeks.

You are precious, and if you are a follower of Christ, you are a Daughter of the King (aka: Princess ~ minus the Diva Attitude, please!). You are a pearl of a great price (see Matt. 7:6) do not waste pretty! I have some friends who have gotten this and others who are not only wasting but giving pretty away. Trust God and He'll honor your obedience in more ways that you can ask, think or imagine. There's more to come, but soak in His love for you today. See that sunrise or sunset splashed across the sky - He painted it just for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and I read every single one. Comments are moderated in order to prevent Spam. Thank you for spending time on my blog. XO ~Kimberly